Saturday, October 10, 2015

Culturing the family

Something that I'm sure we've all noticed is that every family is very different. I love how each family has their own quirks and funny things that they do. Since I have moved away from home I have been able to see many other families and I think I now have a better understanding of just how unique my family really is. I love my family so much! I think I have said this in a post before, but I come from a family with 6 kids. During my childhood there was hardly ever a dull moment around my house. Someone was always going somewhere and there was a constant hum of chatter. This past week I decided to play Betty Crocker and make some homemade rolls and cinnamon rolls. I used my mom's bread receipt and was pleasantly surprised by all the memories that came from the smell of the dough. As I reflected on all those good times I had growing up I couldn't help but be grateful for the situation I was born into. Some families go through so much. My mom can from a family where they struggled to put food on the table. I was so blessed to never have to worry where my next meal was coming from. My parents have both been very supportive of my and my siblings over the years. I can not imagine how hard it would be to not have your parents as active participants in your life. In one of my classes this week we were talking about how difficult it can be for families to immigrate from one country to another. Often times one of the family members (usually the father) leaves before the others to set things up in their new home. It must be so hard to go for a time without having your father home. I am so grateful for my dad and all that he does for me. He has played a huge role in my life and I know I would be a very different person if it weren't for him and the influence he has had on me. What do you think would be different in your life if your family had to live under different circumstances?

No comments:

Post a Comment